It’s always such a treat to walk into the grocery store and walk smack-dab into a bin of Hatch Green Chilies! Tis’ the season to cook up a spicy sauce, stuff them, grill them, or batter ‘em up and fry ‘em. (Yes, I do fry, y’all!)
Admittedly, my favorite way to have these peppers is creamed up! I love them as a soup, smothering a chicken breast, or dripping spicy goodness over enchiladas. Yep, I’m a Mexican at heart! Before you think I’m laying on the butter and heavy cream think again! Cream sauces don’t have to be oozing with cream to give it a creamy consistency and flavor.
Here’s a simple way to serve grilled chicken breasts or if you’re not where it’s a 100 degrees you can bake chicken in this sauce. It’s too stinkin’ hot here for me to do that, so for now I prefer to keep my oven OFF!
Creamy Hatch Green Chili Chicken Breasts
- 6 chicken breasts
- Cumin, Coriander, Salt, & Peper
- 8 Hatch Green Chilies
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock/Broth (hot)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1 Lime, juiced
- Salt, to taste
- Heat grill over medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts on both sides with seasonings. Place Hatch Green Chilies & chicken breasts on grill. Cook chicken breasts for 8-10 minutes on each side or until done (internal temp of 165 degrees). Cook chilies until blackened on all sides (some green can still show–don’t char them!), and then place chilies into brown paper bag and seal. This allows them to steam a bit, which helps the skin peel off.
- Remove charred skins from chilies and place chilies & chicken stock in a food processor. Blend until smooth then drizzle olive oil and half & half until desired consistency. Cut heat with a little lime juice and salt for seasoning. Serve over grilled chicken breasts.
This sauce can be thinned out and made into a delicious chowder or thickened and served over enchiladas. When the ingredients taste this good avoid adding too many ingredients…let the flavors stand alone! Enjoy the Hatch Green Chili Season, y’all!
What’s your favorite way to serve them up?
Just Wendy Jo