Hands down this is my favorite soup! Being a San Antonio girl I proudly claim my love for Mexican food. It’s part of my heritage. It’s who I am. It also happens to be a favorite of many friends & family members now, too. It’s quick, easy, and if you keep all the “toppings” separate kids can pick and choose what they like making it a win-win kids meal, too! You can always go an extra mile to add in grated carrots to the broth if your child (or spouse) needs a bit more veggies in their life, as well!
Don’t forget, presentation is key & sets the stage for an amazing meal:
Tortilla SoupServes 4
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin (comino)
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- salt to taste
- Tortilla chips (homemade or store bought)
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Place chicken breasts, chicken broth, tomatoes (with juice), cumin, and coriander in a slow cooker on high. Cook for 4 hours then shred chicken breasts.
- In a bowl, mix together avocados (do not mash), onion, jalapeño, cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
- To assemble: in a serving bowl place place soup base, top with avocado mixture, cotija cheese, and tortilla strips.
Then take a big ol’ bite of this chunky goodness!
If you have never seen the movie Tortilla Soup I highly recommend it! It has been a long time favorite of mine and one of the only movies I own. Great movie about food, family, and culture!
Just Wendy Jo